OWN A HABITAT HOME
Our houses are sold to home buyers who pay an affordable mortgage. Approved homeowners qualify for a monthly housing payment (mortgage, property tax, insurance, HOA fee if applicable) equal to 30% of their monthly income. Since, 1993, we have built 93 houses in Anchorage.
PROCESS TO BECOME A HOMEOWNER
Applicants must meet our income guidelines, have reasonable credit histories, a manageable level of debt and be willing and able to perform up to 600 hours of “sweat equity” to build their own houses. The entire process including the selection process, building of the house and sweat equity can take about two years.
Our selection process for interested applicants includes a review of financial status, job history, residency and other qualifications.
DO I QUALIFY TO PURCHASE A HABITAT HOUSE?
- I need a home. I do not own one now and have not owned one in the last 3 years or by the time I buy a Habitat house
- If I own a trailer or bare land, I would be willing to sell it
- I have been a resident of Anchorage, Alaska for at least 1 year
- My debts are low enough so that I can afford to pay them and a mortgage
- I have not declared bankruptcy in the last 3 years
- I pay my rent on time
- My household income is within the limits show on the chart given
- I have had a stable income for the last 12 months
- I would be willing to work 250 to 600 hours towards the construction of my house
Above are baseline requirements for applying for homeownership with Habitat for Humanity Anchorage.
HOW TO APPLY
Habitat for Humanity Anchorage is hosting information sessions May 6 – May 20 for our next round of homeowner applications. Please call Elizabeth at 868-3671 to reserve your seat and to inquire about the location for that session.
May 6th at 12:00am
May 8th at 11:00am
May 9th at 11:00am
May 10th at 10:00am
May 11th at 6:00pm
May 13th at 11:00am
May 15th at 1:00pm
May 16th at 2:00pm
May 17th at 12:00am
May 18th at 3:00pm
May 19th at 12:00pm